Your knowledge base content is subject to change. Perhaps your internal policies have been updated or the software you are documenting has undergone a major change to its interface.
You will need to update your knowledge base content and it can be really daunting to do those edits in the already published article.
KnowledgeOwl allows you to:
- Create different Versions of your articles (minor or major versions).
- Make updates/edits in the new version rather than the currently published version.
- Publish the new version in place of your existing article once the version is ready to go.
Some of the benefits of using versions include:
- Making edits to a version instead of the currently published article.
- Versions allow you to create an updated article ahead of time and then publish the new version to coincide with a software release or policy update.
- Older versions can serve as back-ups and will allow you to easily reference historical content.
- Access the article that you need to update.
- Click the Create a new version button in the Versions section of the right hand column.
- This will open a dropdown where you can select the Version you'd like to use. If this is your first time creating a version for this article, the current live article will be version 1.00. Selecting Minor Version (+0.01) or Major Version (+1.0) will create the new numbered version automatically numbered. You can also select Custom to enter your own version.Pro Tip: Minor Versions are great for small updates (text changes, new screenshots, etc.).
Major Versions are great for large updates to your content (an internal policy change or a major software release).
- Once you've made your selection, click the Create button.
- This will create a new version by taking a copy of the current version. Once your new version is created, you will automatically be taken to the new version to perform your edits. You can toggle between different versions by clicking on the version number.Note: You'll see a badge showing which version is currently Published and which version you are currently Viewing.
You can make as many changes to the new version as you'd like.
To publish a new version, in the right hand column, check the Make this version active box in the Version Status section. Then click Save.
Deleting a version
You can delete a version in two ways. If you're currently viewing the version you'd like to delete:
- Click the box next to Delete this version in the upper right.
- Save the article.
From any version, you can also click the red X to the left of other non-published versions to delete them:
This will open a pop-up to confirm you meant to delete this version. Click OK to complete the deletion.