If you have reader sign-ups enabled, you can create rules to automatically assign readers to groups based on their email domain.
A common use case is to assign all readers with internal email addresses to an internal reader group. For example, Linus likes having a rule that will assign all readers with a
knowledgeowl.com email address to the Support reader group, which gives them access to all content restricted to our Support group.
If you're using reader sign-up, this can help guarantee that new readers get access to the content they need without a KnowledgeOwl admin having to manually review and assign them to the appropriate groups.
- Reader accounts that a KnowledgeOwl admin manually creates in Your Account > Readers (singly or in bulk)
- Readers who come through remote authentication or any of the other SSO options we offer
Set up Email Rules
- Go to Your Account > Readers > Groups.
- Click on Add Rule.
- This will open a pop-up where you can define the auto-assign rule.
- Set up your rule by specifying a Rule Name, the Email Domain it applies to, and assigning which groups the domain should get. Here, you can see the rule Linus has set up for assigning all knowledgeowl.com readers to our Support group:
- Click Save Rule.
Note: Rules will only be applied when a new reader first signs up. To run the rules on subsequent logins and allow rules to affect existing readers, choose "Override reader groups based on rule logic on each login" under Your Account > Readers > Settings.