Your privacy is important to us. At KnowledgeOwl, we have a few fundamental principles:
- We are thoughtful about the personal information we ask you to provide and the personal information that we collect about you through the operation of our services.
- We store personal information for only as long as we have a reason to keep it.
- We aim to make it as simple as possible for you to control what information on your website is shared publicly (or kept private), indexed by search engines, and permanently deleted.
- We aim for full transparency on how we gather, use, and share your personal information.
Who We Are
We are the folks behind KnowledgeOwl, an online knowledge base software tool. For the purposes of the GDPR, we are both a data controller and a data processor.
What This Policy Covers
- Our websites (including https://www.knowledgeowl.com and https://support.knowledgeowl.com);
- Our application (https://app.knowledgeowl.com); and
- Other products and services that are available on or through our websites and application (including our widget, API, and various integrations like the Zendesk app).
Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so–for example, to provide our Services, to communicate with you, or to make our Services better. We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our services, and from outside sources.
Information You Provide to Us
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic Account Information: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account. For example, we require individuals who sign up for a KnowledgeOwl account to provide a first name, a last name, and email address. You may provide us with more information–like your company name and billing address–but we don’t require that information to create your account.
- Transaction and Billing Information: If you purchase something from us–a subscription to a KnowledgeOwl plan or a custom domain, for example–you will provide additional personal and payment information that is required to process the transaction and your payment, such as your name, credit card information, and contact information.
- Content Information: When using KnowledgeOwl, you may also provide us with information about you in the content for your knowledge base. For example, if you write an article that includes biographic information about you, we will have that information, and so will anyone with access to your knowledge base.
- Credentials: Depending on the Services you use, you may provide us with credentials for third-party services which you want to integrate with KnowledgeOwl For example, you might provide us with your Zendesk username, domain, and API key to set up a contact form integration.
- Communications with Us: You may also provide us information when you respond to emails, communicate with our support team, or post a comment on our knowledge base.
Information We Collect Automatically
We also collect some information automatically:
- Log Information: Like most online service providers, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information. We collect log information when you use our Services–for example, when you create or make changes to your knowledge base.
- Usage Information: We collect information about your usage of our Services. For example, we collect information about the actions that site administrators and users perform on a site–in other words, who did what, when and to what thing on a site. We also collect information about what happens when you use our Services (e.g., page views, support document searches, button clicks) along with information about your device (e.g., screen size, operating system, browser). We use this information to, for example, provide our Services to you, as well as get insights on how people use our Services, so we can make our Services better.
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Services from certain geographic regions.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also get information about you from other sources. For example, if you log into your KnowledgeOwl account using SSO from a third-party identity provider, we will receive information from that service (such as your username/email, first name, and email) via the authorization procedures used by that service. The information we receive depends on which services you authorize and integrate with your KnowledgeOwl account.
How We Use Information
We use information about you as mentioned above and as follows:
To provide our Services–for example, to set up and maintain your account or charge you for any of our paid Services;
To further develop our Services–for example by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy or will help them to create and manage their knowledge bases more efficiently;
To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Services, which helps us improve our Services and make them easier to use;
To monitor and protect the security of our Services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect the rights and property of KnowledgeOwl and others;
To communicate with you about KnowledgeOwl services and others we think will be of interest to you, solicit your feedback, or keep you up to date on KnowledgeOwl and our products; and
To personalize your experience using our Services and provide recommendations.
How We Share Information
We do not sell our users’ private personal information. We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
Third Party Vendors: We may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services to us. This group includes vendors that help us provide our Services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information) and those that help us understand and enhance our Services (like analytics providers). We require vendors to agree to privacy commitments in order to share information with them.
As Required by Law: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
To Protect Rights and Property: We may disclose information about you when we believe in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of KnowledgeOwl, third parties, or the public at large. For example, if we have a good faith belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious physical injury, we may disclose information related to the emergency without delay.
With Your Consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so, such as setting up integrations with ticketing systems or analytics tools.
Aggregated and De-Identified Information: We may share information that has been aggregated or reasonably de-identified, so that the information could not reasonably be used to identify you. For instance, we may publish aggregate statistics about the use of our Services.
Knowledge Base Users: If you leave a comment or use the contact form on a website that uses our Services (like a knowledge base created in KnowledgeOwl), the information you provide - like your email address and name - may be shared with the users of the site where you left the comment.
Published Support Requests: And if you send us a request (for example, via a support email or one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish that request in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users. Your personal information, such as you name or email, will not be shared to protect your privacy.
Information Shared Publicly
Information that you choose to make public is–you guessed it–disclosed publicly. That means that information like your comments or articles that you make public on your knowledge base are all available to others. Public information may also be indexed by search engines or used by third parties. Please keep all of this in mind when deciding what you would like to share.
You have several choices available when it comes to information about you:
Limit the Information that You Provide: If you have an account with us, you can choose not to provide the optional account information, profile information, and transaction and billing information. Please keep in mind that if you do not provide this information, certain features of our Services may not be accessible.
Set Your Browser to Reject Cookies: You can usually choose to set your browser to, or use a tool that will, remove or reject browser cookies before using KnowledgeOwl services, with the drawback that certain features of KnowledgeOwl services may not function properly without the aid of cookies.
Other Things You Should Know
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so. To enhance the security of your account, we encourage you to enable our advanced security settings, like Force SSL Links and Single Sign-On.
KnowledgeOwl is a worldwide service. By accessing or using the Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing, transfer, and storage of information in and to the U.S. and other countries, which may have rights and protections that are different from those in your home country.
EU-U.S. / Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield
KnowledgeOwl is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). We may be required to disclose personal information that we handle under the Privacy Shield in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
To learn more about the Privacy Shield program, and to view our certification, please visit https://www.privacyshield.gov/.
Contact us at any time to request access to, edit, or delete your personal information.
Silly Moose, LLC dba KnowledgeOwl
4845 Pearl East Cir Ste 118
Boulder, CO 80301
KnowledgeOwl commits to cooperate with the EU data protection authorities (DPAs) and the Swiss Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner, and comply with the advice given by the panel and/or Commissioner, with regard to data transferred from the EU or Switzerland.
Third Party Software
If you’d like to use third party software like plugins with our Services, please keep in mind that when you interact with them you may provide information about yourself to those third parties. We don’t own or control these third parties and they have their own rules about collection, use and sharing of information. You should review their rules and policies when installing and using third party software.
Our Users’ Knowledge Bases
March 29, 2023: Updated our contact information in the EU-US / Swiss-US Privacy Shield section to reflect our current mailing address.
May 23, 2018: Updated the policy to be GDPR-compliant by cutting out legalese and using clear language. Informed individuals about KnowledgeOwl being subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC); the possibility, under certain conditions, for the individual to invoke binding arbitration; and our liability in cases of onward transfers to third parties.