This section will give you some summary statistics on your knowledge base, as well as on the reports contained lower in the dashboard:
- Published articles count: links to Manage Articles with the Published status filter selected
- Draft articles count: links to Manage Articles with the Draft status filter selected
- Categories count: links to Knowledge Base > Articles
- Currently published articles with no views count: tallies counts from the Published Articles with 0 Views report lower in the dashboard
- Searches in the last week with zero results found count: tallies counts from the Searches with no Results report lower in the dashboard
- Articles six months or older count: links to Manage Articles with the Out of Date status filter selected
Note: You must have the Ratings feature enabled and the ratings template added to your knowledge base for this report to work.
The Article Ratings report displays all articles and categories that have received a rating. It allows for sorting. The layout will look a little different depending on which rating scale you've selected:
- Thumbs Up / Down displays a column for each
- Star Rating displays the average rating out of 5 stars
Articles are displayed with the full title; categories are displayed with a folder to the left of the full title.
You can reset ratings for individual articles or your entire knowledge base: see Reset article ratings for complete instructions!
Resetting an article's ratings will permanently delete all existing ratings from the dashboard and the Export to CSV export. This action cannot be undone.
The table will show 10 articles at a time; to view the full list at once, use the Export to CSV link next to the Article Ratings header.
The Popular Articles report displays all your articles and categories based on number of views and quality views. This can help you determine which articles or categories are getting the most attention from your readers.
- A View is recorded each time a visitor accessed this article or category
- A Quality View means a visitor hit the page and stayed there for at least two minutes
- The Quality Score calculates the percentage of views that were quality views
- Last Viewed Date shows the last time a reader viewed the article. This time is displayed using the knowledge base's overall time zone set in Settings > Basic.
Articles are displayed with the full title; categories are displayed with a folder to the left of the full title. The list is sortable by all of the columns listed above. It does not include articles with no views--see the Published Articles with 0 Views report for those.
The table will display 30 articles at a time; to view the full list at once, use the Export to CSV link next to the Popular Articles header.
You can also reset views for individual articles or your entire knowledge base.
The Published Articles with 0 Views report alerts you to content that is not getting hits. While it might mean the content is not useful to your readers, it could also mean that it is not getting found for some reason. These are articles you might want to investigate and curate a bit. It includes information on:
- Visibility: will say "Public" unless the content is restricted to a particular group; then it will list the restricted groups
- Last Modified: the timestamp of the last saved edit to this content
- Date Created: the date the content was first created. Sometimes, very good content shows up in this list simply because it's brand-new
This report is sortable by the Last Modified and Date Created fields.
The table will show 10 articles at a time; to view the full list at once, use the Export to CSV link next to the Published Articles with 0 Views header.
The Searches with no Results report alerts you to unsuccessful searches by your readers. This is a great way to determine:
- Content that needs to be written
- Content that might need an update
- Synonyms you may want to add to your library to augment search
Since searches can be completed from both the full knowledge base or from within the embeddable web widget's search box, the Search Location will tell you where the search was completed (a relative URL here, like the second to last row in the screenshot, indicates it was a widget search).
You can filter these results by date using the Date Range dropdown (be sure to click Update Results once you change that selection!). The list is not sortable.
The table will show 10 articles at a time; to view the full list at once, use the Export to CSV link next to the Searches with no Results header.
Once your knowledge base is launched, you might want to reset article views. This might be:
- Once you officially launch your knowledge base, to clear out any viewing data from your testing.
- When you publish a new version, to ensure that all views apply only to the latest version.
- On a set schedule, depending on your quality control processes.
From Reporting > Dashboard, you can delete all article views:
- For an individual article
- For all articles, ever
Resetting an article's views will permanently delete all existing view data from the Popular Articles Report and the Export to CSV export. This action cannot be undone!
Our default Editor role has permission to reset article views. If you're using a custom user role, that role must have the Dashboard Permissions to Reset individual article view counts and Reset all article view counts, respectively.
Delete an individual article's views
To delete all ratings for an individual article:
- Go to Reporting > Dashboard.
- In the Popular Articles Report, find the article whose views you'd like to reset.
- Click the Reset Views trashcan in the row of that article.
- This will open a pop-up which will confirm the name of the article whose views you're trying to reset. Be sure the article named there matches what you're looking for. If it does, click OK.
- The views will be removed from the dashboard as well as the Export to CSV option in the dashboard.
Delete all articles' views
Resetting all articles' views will permanently delete all existing article views from the dashboard and the Export to CSV export. This action cannot be undone!
To delete all ratings for all articles:
- Go to Reporting > Dashboard.
- In the Popular Articles Report, click the Delete All link in the upper right.
- This will open a pop-up which will confirm the number of articles whose views you are resetting. If you wish to continue, click OK. This action cannot be undone.
- The ratings will be removed from the dashboard as well as the Export to CSV option in the dashboard.